Andrew - Moorestown, New Jersey
Themes: children

I can remember as a small boy being filled with the anticipation and excitement of Christmas each year. Although being Christian and the son of two Lutheran ministers, Christmas for me mainly meant the coming of Santa Claus, not the birth of the son of God. No, I was excited for the coming of a jolly old man bearing gifts from the North Pole. No matter how many Biblical stories I was told, the story that intrigued me most was the one of Santa on his slay. There was nothing that promised more happiness than Santa, and each year he filled every one of my wishes.

It’s crazy to think of how many years I spent being infatuated with Santa Claus. The endless cartoons, T.V. shows, movies, and stories were all things that built up my love for this mystery man I never knew. Isn’t it weird how I was actually excited about a stranger coming into my house, eating and drinking my cookies and milk? So much time and energy was spent by people, my parents especially, to keep me believing Santa truly existed. But what was wrong with that, Santa leads to happiness and everyone wants to be happy.

I believe that Santa Claus is real because I miss the innocent days of being peacefully naive with hope, excitement and pure happiness.

Not only can I remember when I believed in Santa, but I can also remember when I found out Santa wasn’t real. It was such an extreme disappointment with feelings getting close to betrayal. From growing up loving this man named Santa and then suddenly having his existence disappear from my life wasn’t easy. Not only is it hard to find out news of such proportion, I had two younger sisters that I had to protect from the same devastating news. I had become a member in the circle of Santa lies and deceptions, and I didn’t like it one bit.

Why is Santa so important for people to believe in? It seems at times that people push the belief of Santa more than that of God and Jesus. The concepts of Santa and Jesus aren’t too far fetched from each other. Jesus was immaculately conceived and performed miracles. Santa rides in a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer and in one night can deliver gifts to all children across the world. Who wouldn’t consider that a miracle? Comparing Santa Clause to Jesus Christ may upset a lot of people, but it’s hard to ignore the comparisons.

The time when Santa existed was a time of sheer happiness and when life was more about simply living. The time when Santa doesn’t exist is still a time of happiness, just with added stress, worries, work, disappointments and hardships. When my belief in Santa Claus ended, so did my childhood. Ever since Santa left my life, so has my innocence. I want to believe in Santa Claus because I want to be innocent again, with no cares in the world.