My One True Passion

Anna - Albuquerque, New Mexico

There is more to me than meets the eye. Those who don’t know me see a quiet, meek girl who keeps to herself. In a way, that’s the truth, I’m very quiet, I do keep to myself, and maybe I don’t exactly stand out in a crowd of people, but I have one major passion in my life that you wouldn’t be able to figure out just by looking at me. I cannot go a day without listening to my Ipod. It’s my lifeline, or more importantly my music is. Music is my passion. There’s so much to music, it opens you up to everything new in life. And not just listening to music, but playing music. Music has been a passion in my life since I was 6 years old, learning how to play the violin.

People are always saying that a person’s eyes are the window to their soul, but I don’t think that’s entirely correct. I believe that music IS a person’s soul; it is their entire being, their everything. You can learn so much about somebody just by finding out about the music they feel passionate about.

Music is used for so much more than just something to listen to. At least it is for me. I use music to express my mood for the day. If I wake up feeling a little goofy than I turn up the Broadway show tunes as I try to remember all the dance moves to Hairspray or the Producers. If I wake up feeling a little down then I switch the Ipod to Dashboard Confessional, All-American Rejects, or The Hush Sound and just get lost in the slow beats of their songs. No matter what kind of mood I’m in for that day, music always brings me up. I use music as a way to escape reality.

For me, the easiest way to escape reality is through the Beatles. Cliché, I’m sure, but it’s true. There is no bad that has done more for me than the Beatles. The fact that they have music for everything, every feeling, every emotion. No matter how I’m feeling I know that the Beatles will make everything better. There’s something about the voice of Paul McCartney mixed with the lyrics of John Lennon. The words are usually something simple, “I love you, yeah, yeah, yeah” or “I wanna hold your hand” but no matter how plain the lyrics are the meaning behind it has the same punch. It’s very difficult for me to express exactly what the Beatles have done for my life, because they’ve been a part of my life ever since I can remember. I can remember being in kindergarten and being the only kid there who listened to anything other than Raffi or Peter, Paul, and Mary. I just know that not matter what, no matter how lonely I am, how down or happy I am, the Beatles have never let me down, and they never will.