“Aim for Amazing”

Ashlee - Seattle, Washington

I believe in wanting more out of life and going for it. I believe in striving for the top and never settling because it’s easy.

Ever since I was young, I’ve lead a pretty content life. I’m an only child, close to both my parents, who are still together today. School was never particularly difficult for me. And I’ve always had one or two really close friends that would stay by me. Of course there were a couple bumps and ditches in the road here and there. No one’s life is that perfect. But to this point, I’ve lead a fairly simple life. And I was content.

I began dating my first boyfriend during my junior year in high school. After I graduated and moved out of my parent’s house, he moved in with me and my dog. I started going to UW while he worked. It was like our own little family. We loved each other very much and I could really picture us ending up together. We were very comfortable. We were content.

It wasn’t until about a year ago that I really began to dislike that word. Content: satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else. I realized that I was 21 years old and didn’t want anything more out of life than what I had. That’s ridiculous! Maybe I found it so ridiculous because I realized how much more I wanted out of life. I realized I was mistaking happiness with being comfortable. I realized I was settling.

I wanted to study abroad. I wanted to be completely independent for once. I wanted to make choices in my life and have to consider no one but myself. To make a long story short, we eventually broke up and he moved out this summer. Since then I’ve been doing all that I wanted to do. I’ll be studying in Italy next quarter. I’ve made some serious career goals. And I’ve just been doing my own thing. Admittedly, things are not as comfortable as they used to be. I live by myself. I cook for myself. I pay for all household expenses and go to the grocery store alone. But I am so happy. As time goes by, I’m realizing the more and more things I want out of life. And I’m figuring out how to get them. I am always excited for what’s to come, the new and unknown.

As I said, my life to this point has been pretty simple. It’s been very comfortable and I was fine with where I was going. I now realize fine is not good enough for me. Fine will not make me happy. I want more than fine. I want amazing!