Childhood Obesity

Adam - Kentucky
Themes: children, illness

I believe that childhood obesity is going to increase over the next couple of years greatly. The percentage of over weight children in the United Starts are increasing at an alarming rate. Kids are spending less time exercising and more in front of a TV, computer or video game. If you would look at the kids that didn’t have all of them you would more likely see a difference in their weight. If they spent more time outside playing instead of inside on the computer n watching TV then they would be more active and not be as over weight. I know that its not just the eating that causes them to gain weight there are some health factors that maybe present. Also environmental barriers, maybe the smaller towns rural areas don’t have places where you can exercise. You could always go to a local school where there is a track available or even a local YMCA.

In today’s fast pace life style people are not spending time to cook healthy foods. Parents after work may just go to a hamburger joint and pick up that nights dinner. Now don’t get me wrong that is ok, but every night is not such a good idea. There is always ways to cook a healthy, fast meal. Now they are making the dinners that you put in the microwave and it steams your food. Great way to cut down on fatty foods.

Since the early 1970’s, the percent of over weight kids and adolescence has more then doubled in the United States. Today 10% of the age range or 2 to 5 years old and more then 15% of children from 6 to 19 are over weight. Now if you combine the percents together with the percent of kids likely to become over weight that is about one out of three kids that are going to be affected. To me that is to many, you here now days how more young people are having heart attacks and blood clots. Back ten or twenty years ago it wasn’t heard of well at least not as much. That there shows you that the world and people in it are changing.

To summarize this, is talk to your children and educate them on healthy eating. You don’t have to make them eat all vegetables, but make it kind of a fun way to spent time with your kids. Watch what they eat and how much they eat. You can eat foods that are good just help them limit how much they take in.