Five Year Twins

David - Las Cruces, New Mexico

I believe that being a twin doesn’t always mean having the same age or birthday, because having the same qualities and expectations with another makes you intuitive of each other.

I’ve always had a separate life from my sister. She’s five years older than I am. We have been different from each other from the beginning, almost as if we were from separate families. When my sister found out that she was going to have a younger brother, she threw a fit. When I was born, she literally told my mom, “He’s ugly! Let’s get rid of him so I can be the only child.” And as I got older, she would boss me around and do mean things to me. One time she cracked an egg on my head for not doing her chores and later beat me up for telling our mom. We were completely different.

I had my friends and certain lifestyle. I was into the outdoors, being active, and doing hands on activities to stimulate my brain. I would ride my bike to friends’ houses to see them and hang out. She, on the other hand, was lazy! She would rather be inside the house, lounging around in her pajamas doing nothing active at all. She would sit around watching tv, talking to her friends on the phone, or with her head in a “good book” tuning out the rest of the world. We never talked to each other unless we really had to. It has been this way up to a couple of years ago, when I started college.

I started college and was experiencing something completely different from anything else in my life. We started clicking and were able to read each others minds. We knew exactly what the other was thinking, and would laugh about situations without having to say a word. If I got stuck with my homework, she would react as the other half of my brain and would suggest something else. It was as if finally after eighteen long years, that we were one. We started our own co-ed softball team, started hanging out with the same people, doing the same things, and spending almost all of our free time with each other, we might as well have been joined at the hip!

I believe that as we have matured and maybe the way we were brought up, we are like twins… We always seem to be on the same page and when we do argue it’s because both of us are too stubborn to admit the other is right. I believe that we have this strong relationship because in a way, we are twins at a distance. Though she might not know this I am thankful for how she taught me to be witty, strong, and to never underestimate what I can do. At the same time… she is exactly the same. It’s nice to know that I have a five year older twin.