Andris - Ithaca, New York

Personal Essay

Andris G.

I believe in running. Weather it’s taking a jog around the street to winning the gold in the Olympics, the day always ends with accomplishment.

When I was born, I came out blue (not enough oxygen). The doctor on hand did not know if I was going to live. To make a long story short I did live, but not with good health. I suffered from severe asthma. An asthma attack could be caused by me just laughing. To keep me from going to the hospital with these attacks, doctors had me dependant on a drug called Albuterol. It came in the form of an inhaler. I had to take three to four puffs a day between the ages five and eight. Running changed my life. My first coach, Kevin trained me slowly. He saw how young I was at this poor condition. As I ran more and I got stronger. The time I was ten I almost didn’t need the inhaler. I was down to one puff a week. Then I got serious about my running. I became a very good youth runner traveling the country going to different big national youth track and cross country championships. As I continued to run faster and get stronger with getting older I didn’t need my inhaler at all. Now at age fifth-teen I haven’t used my inhaler for almost more than two years. In fact, I don’t even know where it is. This for me eight years ago would have been a drier situation. I have to thank running, for me being healthier today.

Running has given so much to me. I hope that it will take me far. I also hope that other people in the world read this and believe in running. Hold it dear and never let go. Get fit and make a statement to the growing obese America. And never forget, anyone can run and turn their life in the right direction.