sarah - winchester, Kentucky
Themes: family, place

I believe in the power of the kitchen table. This is the place where I learned the alphabet, my multiplication tables, and where I was taught to cook my first meal. It has always been an unwritten rule in my family to sit at the table together and not just for dinner. Almost every moment in my families’ lives have at some point ended up in deliberation at the kitchen table. Decisions are made here as a family. Discussions on everything from, money, cars, family members, gossip, grades and, what college I would attend, have been ran through the kitchen table. The secrets held here are plentiful and if needed, they will be concealed forever. As a child I loved listening to my mom and grandmother make “grown up” conversation while cooking dinner. I always listened attentively so that I wouldn’t miss out on what was going on. Each day of my life at this table has taught me a lesson, just last night my lesson was that speaking before you think often leads to hurt feelings and tears. But each experience even those that have brought tears have been well worth while.

I have always known that I would not trade those moments and that they would sculpt my future. Any opportunity to sit at the table and catch up is a blessing and has given me hope, inspiration, and power. I believe that taking advantage of advice given by family will guide you in the right direction. I believe that strength comes in numbers and that the most important allies you can obtain in life are family. At this table along with my family I have rejoiced in happiness and cried in sorrow. Through the years this is where I have been taught to celebrate births and grief the deaths of loved ones. I believe in the power of the kitchen table to bring families together. I believe in strong families. I know that my kitchen table will always be a place of hope, faith, strength, and love.