In Trusting I Believe

Andrea - Roscommon, Michigan

I believe in trust. Though taken for granted, it is a need for mankind. Trust is abused like a toy with no feelings or heart. Mindless, it is broken and patched then crushed again. We tend to think that this is what life is like, people are just friends but to make them trustworthy is risking everything. Risking secrets, hopes, dreams, and personal information, are a worry that most of us face without knowing the danger that it could all be made known to others. Trust is water that runs through our hands but sometimes is used for the bettering the good of all.

During the holidays I am surrounded by family and a few friends of whom I trust. I believe in trust which holds society together. Trust can help people overcome dangerous life obstacles that can be fatal without it. Trust can also tear apart relationships.

My friends were supposed to be there for me when I was in need. My family had been disrupted almost to the point of being broken apart and I was caught in the middle of it. I had trusted my friends to listen when I just needed to talk, and I trusted them to comfort me. I believed in trust. My friends had broken my trust and shattered my confidence. I felt lost without someone to trust. I was left for depression to come and take me away into the darkness of life. I began to think that this is what life exactly was. I did not know that I had depression, even though I shut out the rest of my life and took each day the same as the last. I pushed away my family and the things that I loved. I sank deeper and deeper into the blackness of depression.

This past spring I began to discover that trust can also heal. It had been years since I had ever trusted any person completely. I started working at the park and I had to work with people I had never met before. Matt, my co-worker, was determined to find out what made me tick. I was not used to having a person want to know how my life was every day. One night I knew that our work in the park after dark was dangerous and that I had to trust Matt. I began to open up even though before I was determined to not trust him. He was the friend I wished I had through the past years of my depression. It was a risk that I didn’t want to take. But inevitably trust was the key to recovery. By mid-summer, I had told him how trust had ruined my life and how I was not sure if I could trust him.

I believe in trust and the miracles that we have while trusting someone. Somehow I began to find everything I loved in life; I began to let go of my past and conquer depression. Abusing the imaginary trust is like burning bridges that you physically walk over to get you on your way to enriching life. I believe that learning how to use trust to help mankind is vital. With trust, the whole world benefits in life. Trust is a power that should be kept close to our hearts and current in our minds of right and wrong.