Paul - brooklyn, New York

I believe in style. I believe the we are all the same on the outside, black, white, yellow, or other, until our personal style can separate us. When I walk down a crowded New York City street, I don’t see faces, but rather suits and shoes, t-shirts and jeans, fitted caps and Nikes. I can tell right away the type of person someone is by his or her clothes. Are they dressed up or down, are they trying to impress me or could they care less, are they SoHo chic or uptown business.

They say first impressions are everything, but before you ever say one word to a person, you see them, examine them. Their clothes, their hair, their jewelry. No matter how great someone personality is, their physical appearance will still impact their lives. You would never go to a job interview or on a date dressed like a slob, so why live the rest of your life like that?

Now, I know what you may be thinking, but let me just assure you, I am far from metro-sexual. I do however believe, that a man should be well groomed and dress well. I see kids in my school who just wake up, and throw on whatever clothes first come into their line of sight. Not me though. I love to match, to coordinate, to look “fly.” I love the feeling of walking down the street and seeing people stare at my flashy sneakers or sweater. To me, one of the greatest feelings in the world is when a random person walks up to me in the street and says “Hey, I really like your….,” and compliments my clothing.

I believe that everyone is different, and has their own personality. In the same vein, everyone should have their own style. I am not saying that everyone should go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of shoes, but just think about your appearance. Let your style fit who you are as a person. All I ask, is that tomorrow morning, everyone turns on the lights before they get dressed.