Avin - West Windsor, New Jersey
Themes: respect

This I Believe Avin Grewal 11/ 20/07

I have been bullied since the 5th grade by the people on my school bus, my classmates and my so called, “friends.” I’m not saying that I don’t have friends. I am saying that a handful of people dislike me because of my look or my size. I have come home crying quite a few times because of the verbal abuse and I try my best to deal with it, but it becomes very difficult and I don’t understand how kids can be so cruel. I believe that every person should be treated with unconditional respect.

I have seen people bullied because of skin color, heritage or even size. Recently at a high school in Jena, Louisiana, white and black groups were fighting and threatening each other with guns and nooses. As bad as physical bullying and intimidation is, it is not the most common form of bullying. In my school, I see a lot of social bullying. Some popular kids will disrespect others because of there size or the clothing they wear, If you have to disrespect other people in order to be popular, you are earning false respect. So is it worth being popular at these consequences?

This is wrong. It shouldn’t matter what color your skin is, what size you are or what you wear everyone deserves respect.

If you have to disrespect other people in order to be popular, you are earning false respect. So is it worth being popular at these consequences?

Not everyone recognizes when they are being bullied. Even you could be bullied; at first you may think it is just some harmless teasing or some just some friendly humor, but it’s actually not. For instance when your friends but when they start teasing and you think it is harmless, but then it continues and it gets worst like they get more people to start doing it and that is where the real bullying starts. If you don’t know whether a joke is bullying or not, ask your self, “Is this respectful to the other person?” For instance when people say they don’t like the peoples race or sexuality it is something that they can’t help and it is apart of life, but it does not mean it is right.

So for my belief I think that to earn respect you must give unconditional respect to others.