Krista - Evarts, Kentucky

I Believe you don’t have to fit in. My Junior year in High School my dad bought me a book called “ My Princess, Letters from your king”. There’s one excerpt that brings tears to my eyes every time that I read it: My Princess, You don’t have to fit in. Although I know you want to be accepted by others. You weren’t made to draw attention to yourself, but to God. My Princess you were made to stand out. As you grow older, hold your head high and know your my daughter. Your Special. You have nothing to prove to another although you don’t judge others either. If your heart is broken by some who feel differently, thank them for making your path in life a little easier and little more narrow. I’ve thought of this excerpt many times in High School and even in college today. I’ve always found myself to be different from all the other girls in school. When all the other girls were in school worrying about their next menstrual cycle, I was worried about other things; I’m sure that’s because of gifts like my book; that keep reminding me what the more important things in life are.

I believe that sometimes “fitting in” is misinterpreted into a must more twisted thing than hoping the sorority girls like your new hair color, or the demoralizing feeling you get when you walk into class late and the cute boy sitting across from you looks at you funny. I’ve found that even in college, there is a call to accepted. Even in college, there are some who have to urge to be accepted; to fit in.

One of my good friends John grew up with me and my boyfriend ever since we were kids. His Junior year in High School, his mom remarried and decided to move to Somerset. Week after week we would hear from him less often, until it would months before he could come back and see us again. Once he came back in Thanksgiving 2006 and told us how different it was there. How hard it was to find people that he was comfortable with, like he was with the friends he had back home. After that, he came in every once in a while but with a different attitude; A careless attitude. In June 2007, one of our mutual friends called to tell me that he was in a car wreck and he was dead. He was in the car with a drunk driver along with another girl in the backseat. At his wake, I had a chance to talk to some of his new friends he made in Somerset. “He was just cool and down for anything” one of his friends Rob remarked. Sometimes “fitting in” can make you feel better about having no respect or tolerance for yourself. Sometimes “fitting in” can affect you more ways than ever expected. On December 2nd, John’s mother called to tell me that John’s dad shot himself in the head. “Fitting in” linked to the pain and continuous mourning of two families. My friend just wanting to be accepted linked to so many people I was in awe. I believe you don’t have to fit in.