Krystal - Greeley, Colorado

I believe in angels. Not just the kind of angels that have wings, like your “guardian angel” but also angels on earth. During my senior year of high school one of my best friend’s boyfriends committed suicide. Since we were all so close he happened to be my friend, too, and affected every one of us individually. He was a happy person who never seemed to be the type to do something so severe. We were all so surprised and hurt at the same time. To me suicide was always something that surrounded our lives but was never real until this incident.

Ever since I started high school I seemed to be the person who people could talk to and feel comfortable telling their fears. When I was a freshman I dealt with my first “scare”, as you might call it. Someone called me and told me that one of his friends wanted to kill himself and was on the verge, and I was the only person who could change this. Of course I was extremely upset and confused as to why I could change his decision, but I felt like it was right to try and help. After talking to him and his parents for hours, I convinced him that it was the wrong thing to do. After this incident things seemed to be ok and I continued focusing on my own life.

Then, junior year of high school, I met my best friend. He is a great person who had so much to deal with and continually would cut himself on his wrists. At first I was scared to tell him that I was worried, so I pretended that I did not notice the scars, but it was so apparent that I could not keep ignoring them forever. Finally, one day I told him that I wanted to try and help him stop. I was not exactly sure how I could do this but I wanted it to change. Routinely, I started to check his wrists every day. Every day I would see a new cut and, of course, every day I would begin to cry. I think that after a while he began to see that someone really did care and he was no longer affecting only himself. Slowly the cuts began to happen farther apart and after about a year they stopped all together. Today, I see him every day and have not seen a cut on his wrist in at least two years.

I believe that all of these people are angels put into my life to make me a better person, to learn from the losses, and to gain from the changes. Obviously, I do not talk to all of them today, but I still think about the changes that have occurred in my life because of them. The biggest impact on my life has come from my best friend; he may not know how he has helped me grow but he is my angel on earth. Because of him I have become the person I am today and, hopefully, for someone else I have become their angel on earth.