Jonathan - Lexington, Kentucky

I believe in the power of letters. I believe that writing and receiving letters is something that sticks with you for the rest of your life. I believe there is nothing more meaningful than receiving a letter from a loved one, whether it is from your grandmother, or from your best friend.

Many of us don’t think of all the power that is accompanied by a letter. When I think of letters I remember receiving letters from mainly my grandparents. A small gift, that seemed to make the day brighter. Although I am very close to my grandmother I do not see her a lot. When I receive letters from her it’s not just a way of keeping in touch or sharing news it’s a way of keeping our special bond. The power of a letter can be summed up by a quote that has stuck with me my whole life “this is not a letter but my arms around you for a brief moment” (Katherine Mansfield). That’s how I feel when I receive letters from my grandmother; it’s like a hug from grandmother.

We all know that sound of the mail truck, that loud roaring machine. I am always very anxious to know if there is a letter with my name on it. In my hometown I know that the mail truck runs at 2:30 p.m. in my neighborhood. I always go out to the mailbox and immediately flip through the various envelopes, sale bills and cards envelopes to see if there is anything with my name on it.

Now we live in a world full of technology and we do not write letters as much, but this makes the art of letting writing more special. Now anytime I receive a letter I know a lot of thought had to gone into it from buying a card to buying a stamp, addressing the card and sending the card there are multiple steps that go into the process of mailing a letter. Any time I receive a letter from someone close I am very thankful.

This college semester I was sick with strep throat and during this time I slept a lot and my mom sent me a card that made me feel better. She didn’t know I was sick and the letter itself had nothing to do with my illness; the letter was just filled with stuff such as the football score, stuff going on around the house, and things she knew I would smile about. It’s the small things people do for you that can make your day better.

When you receive a letter in the future remember the time that someone spent to try to make your day just a bit more special. Or you yourself could take a moment and give the gift back. Write a letter, you know it will be appreciated. This I believe.