I Believe in Happily Ever After

Heather - Logan, Utah
Themes: love

Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about myself and dating. To be honest, my luck has never been very good in this area, and I’ve been pondering why. After my long deliberation, I think that I have found the answer: I’m a bit of a freak when it comes to falling in love. When I find someone I like, I fall hard and I fall fast – usually much harder and much faster than the person I’m interested in. There’s no confusion, no second guessing my feelings. I feel the way I feel and that’s that. I’m also a bit of a commitment nut, which is also scary to a lot of people. When I look at a relationship, I see why it can work and try not to worry about why it can’t. Of course there will be rough patches in any relationship, but if the two people involved want to make it work they will find a way. I guess you could say I’m a bit of a hopeless romantic.

So what exactly is a hopeless romantic? It’s someone who is always looking and hoping to find the kind of love usually only seen in the movies. It is wanting to find someone who will do the cute, sappy things. It’s someone who wants to be so deeply in love that they feel it every second of every day; someone who does all they can to make relationships work because they want to find someone who will do the same. It’s someone who knows that as deeply as they may be hurt by those who don’t love them, they will find someone who will love them enough to fill the void. They continue to look for someone who is worth their time even if they’ve been burned a million times. They never give up: that’s the key. Maybe it shouldn’t be called a “hopeless” romantic. It’s a “hopeful” romantic, because they never stop hoping to find that love, that feeling, that joy of being loved like no one has ever experienced.

I believe that there is someone out there for everyone and it just takes some time to find that person. I believe that the more jerks you date, the better the end result. Don’t get me wrong. I definitely haven’t had it easy. I really didn’t date much in high school. I never went to homecoming or prom, but I always tried to be happy. I met a boy one summer home from college who ended up being the biggest jerk. He ended up taking everything from me, and there was nothing I could do. Did he ever want to speak to me again? No. I didn’t want to talk to him either. People trying to help would say, “Bad things happen to good people.” I didn’t understand why something like that could happen to me. I mean, I was a nice girl. I guess I was just vulnerable. I decided that I needed to believe in something, so I decided to believe in love. Despite my bad experiences, I believe that one day prince charming will come and sweep me off my feet, carry me off into the sunset, and we’ll live happily ever after.