Scott - N. Logan, Utah

I believe that we should be there to help out our friends and others whenever they need it. Too many people are selfish these days putting themselves before the rest of us. Many people don’t even notice things that are going on around them because they are so self-centered. They don’t stop and think of other’s situations. They also think that everyone is here to please them and to help them get what they want.

While I was growing up, my father would always go out of his way to help other people when he could. He would sometimes complain that no one would ever help him out unless there was something in it for them. Looking back on those times, I notice that he was right. Even now in my life there are a very few number of people that I can truly rely on. My dad once co-signed on a Harley Davidson for one of his employees because the man had very few materials in life.

After a couple months, the guy took off to Florida with the bike and quit making payments. My dad refused to pay for the bike because he kept telling Harley where the bike was, but they said that they couldn’t go get it because it was illegal. My dad ended up losing his credit because he refused to pay for the bike, and also had to sell his. This wasn’t the first time that he was back-stabbed trying to help some one out, and it surely won’t be the last.

I also have had people take advantage of me because I tried to help them out. I have lent friends money, never to be repaid by some. Also, I have lent my car to people, and now they expect me to let them borrow it every time that they want to go to southern Utah because their car uses three times the gas. People can’t be happy with a little gratitude. They all want more and more. And to them we are all here to serve them.

So we have to draw a line of where we can help people. We can’t let them take advantage of us. But our true friends are not the ones that take advantage of us and they are the ones that we know will help us out when we need it.