Lindsay - logan, Utah

I believe that music has therapeutic attributes. I believe that I am able to express myself in a much better way through the lyrics of a song better than I could by articulating them into my own thoughts. Singers and songwriters alike live the same life I do, and therefore they experience the same circumstances as me.

I believe that if it were not for the power of music I would be an emotionally unstable person who is unable to get close to people because I am too consumed in my own thoughts. Music has always been my preferred method of release. Although, I myself have never been a song writer, much less a singer, I still feel like music serves the same purpose for me as a patron by allowing me to express feelings as it does for those who are actually formulating the art.

People often as me why I am always listening to music whether it be from my iPod, my stereo, or my laptop more often than not I have some sort of lyrical therapy filling the empty void of silence. I do not expect anyone to understand how much music has helped me in my life. Quite honestly, I have no desire for even those who are closest to me to know what I am thinking as I listen to a song. I also do not want them to know when a song is talking about deeply intimate details that could almost mirror my exact experience.

I believe that I will always be better off if I keep my emotions close to me and handle them by myself. It is this belief that gives me no desire to share how the song “Lips of an Angel” bye the group Hinder is a story that rings all too familiar to me. I do not want them to know that every time I hear the song come on waves of emotion and flashbacks of encounters with the once love of my life wash over me. With these waves comes a bitter-sweet sense. I am not ashamed for my experience with this person, and I talk about him openly with my friends, however it is through the song that I am able to confront feelings that I try so desperately to hide from not only my friends, but at times also myself.

I believe that with music comes a sense of well being and the inspiration to move forward. During Christmas break in December 2004 everything I knew about my upper-middle class suburban lifestyle came crashing to the floor in shattered pieces when I learned of a drug addiction that was so deeply infested in the fibers of my family. Just when I felt like nothing could possibly get worse a man who was considered to be my second father was killed in an avalanche ten days after the revelation about my own family secrets. I was left in a sea of darkness and anger. Feeling as if I had no where to step for everywhere around me the only thing that remained of me was shattered glass and broken dreams. During this time is when I depended the most on the power of music to help me escape the shame and despair my own life had. The song that landmarks this time in my life is “Carry on My Wayward Son” by Kansas. Through the lyrics of that song I was able to escape my own borderline insanity long enough to realize at some point my life would eventually get better.

I believe in the unfaltering power and escape that music provides. I believe that for everyone person in this world there is a song of sorts that speaks to them differently than it does to anyone else. To some that song may be an incoherent jumble of words strung together to make a song. To others that same compilation of words may be the inspiration they need to move past a hard time and look forward to the good things to come. This is what music did for me. This is what I believe.