Change, A Necessary Evil

Logan - San Diego, California
Themes: change

Everyone knows change is hard. I, like most people, are faced with it everyday. Change can come from a new job or a birth of a child and everything in between, all of which can alter people’s lives drastically, but I believe it is a necessary evil that can and will bring good fortune only if you look at why change had to occur.

As a twenty-year-old college student, I have seen and experienced many changes, most of which are typical for many adolescents such as getting a drivers license, graduating from high school, moving away from your parents, and beginnings and endings of relationships. What I think sets me apart from others is the ability to step back and “see the bigger picture” as they say.

Just recently, I had a 3-year relationship with an incredible girl unfortunately end. This wasn’t my first breakup, but it was definitely not like the rest. The change was so unexpected that it had overtaken me into doubt about myself, questioning my acts throughout the relationship. But given months for me to come to realization that it was over, made me comprehend what good can come out of it.

With stepping back and examining the whole situation, I was able to see how this change in my life, one that was not easy to understand at first, was essential to enhancing the quality of myself. It taught me that change can be for the better, whether I want change to occur or not.

I once heard, “You have to take things how they are, and improve on them yourself!” Well that is exactly what I did. I took the separation for what it was, examined why I thought it didn’t work out, and improved on decision making of what to do and what not to do in the future of a relationship. I told myself that I would never let anyone else, nor myself, feel the pain that I felt and put upon someone else, because once I saw why the change had to be made, I saw the answers that my questions were asking.

“With the end of one thing, comes the beginning of another,” said my mom, and with that I have found out I can change for the better, making sure I never make the same mistakes I once made. Without this unwanted change of my relationship, it turned out to be a needed step in improving myself.