Kara - Logan, Utah

I have never thought of myself as a “girlie girl”, I am never up to date on the latest fashions, and I have never had the time to research fashion. I have always been into the outdoors, sports, work, and school. When it comes to what is worn on my feet it has always been cleats, tennis shoes, or slippers. Now that I am in college, and have to promote a somewhat better image of myself, I have discovered the best foot fashion since the stiletto. They call it the Flip-Flop. I believe that flip-flops or “flips” are a girl’s best friend. Some may call flips the shoe of the lazy, or the beach bum. Some may call the shoe for the cheap, or the penny pincher. However, I believe everyone should own a pair of flips, they are the shoe anyone can count on. Not only do they come in multiple colors, styles, and functions; they are easy and great for a girl on the go. Why waste life worrying if your shoes match your belt, or if you can get away with a brown shoe and a black shirt? Just slide on a pair of Flips and be on your way.

I am not what anyone would call a morning person. I sleep through at least three snooze alarms in the morning before I finally manage to drag myself out of bed. Even then I only have a few minutes to get ready. By the time my face is washed, I have on a pair of pants, and my homework is in hand, I don’t have time to worry about anything else. I just slide on my black pair of flips and I am out the door. It doesn’t matter what else I am wearing because black tends to go with anything in my wardrobe.

One morning my brother and I took off our shoes and went wadding, and walking around the edge of our lake in Maryland. He had not noticed a hole up ahead of us and sure enough stepped right down in. Not only did he step in the hole, but also lost his balance at the same time, fell, and that caused his leg to break. It was horrifying; I had never heard my brother scream in such pain and terror as I did that day. I did not have time to worry about laces, Velcro, or making sure my shoes were on all the way, I had to get my brother to hospital. I relied on my trusty yellow flips. I slipped them on and off we went to save my brother’s leg.

On late summer afternoons filled with ice cream and hanging out with friends. Afternoons full of sundresses, skirts, and shorts. Afternoons filled with rhinestone studded flip flops with what would try to mimic high heel shoes. I am not one to look gracefully while trying to walk and have fun in high heels. I look like a baby trying to walk for the first time, I have a few good steps and then I’m on my butt. With flip flops I am in complete, graceful, control. I am confident. Plus the rhinestones make me feel pretty.

I remember going white water rafting, hiking in Zion’s National Park, Tony Grove, Logan Canyon, Brice Canyon, all over Utah in my Tevas. Not your normal flip-flops, but flips none the less. They have more cushion some extra straps, but all I know is my feet are still free. At any moment I can take them off and feel the dirt, or water between my toes. During the summer my mom used to think I had the dirtiest feet she had ever seen. My mom was always saying, “Kara wash your feet, they are disgusting, look at all that dirt.” When in reality I just had really tan feet. So tan that where the straps on my flip-flops lay against my skin my feet were snow white. It looked like I was wearing Flips when I was running around bear foot.

I always seem to have a lot going on in my life, school, work, Alpha Chi Omega, and whatever else comes my way. I do not need worrying about what shoes to wear standing in my way. By far flip-flops are my shoe of choice, they come in all sorts of colors, and fun styles, and they have always had my back.