Live and Let Live

Rita - Oakland, Kentucky

As I sit here looking over the years, I wonder how did everything go so terribly wrong. I know as you get older things are going to change, but you hope that wisdom will come with age. I realize that there will always be good times and bad times, but you don’t think the bad times will come crashing down on you without some warning. People aren’t always kind and I know everybody has their good days and bad days, I think the most unexpected was the abusive situation I had gotten myself into. I was in a situation where I felt there was nowhere to turn. I was terrified for my life, I had lost my self-confidence, my self-esteem was at an all time low, and my family was at odds with me for being with the man I married. But with the grace of God he took me out of that situation.

I met my sister she took one look at me and said, what is wrong? It was as if a fountain had opened up in and I said I’m not sleeping and I’ve gotten myself into an abusive situation, that is just becoming more abusive and I feel so helpless with no way to escape. My sister said you get your things right now and come home with me before he kills you, I did not hesitate and I am still with her this day. I was very lucky, because I had my family to support me.

I had never been so devastated in my life, here I was 58 years old and I thought what am I going to do. I had always been independent and had a strong will power, but at of the sudden I felt like a frightened child. A year later, I have started back to College to obtain my degree and it has really given me direction in my life and I feel I am taking steps to better myself. I’m gaining my self confidence and I know now that I will make it with the help of my family, and by using the God given talents that I have.

I have always been a firm believer that two wrongs don’t make a right and in order to keep my sanity after everything was finally over and done with my marriage, I picked up the pieces of my life and tried to improve myself, by being the best I can be. I think I am a stronger, more mature person now with a lot of opportunity in my life. I don’t think its matters how old you are, because you should always strive to better yourself. When it’s all said and done, we only have ourselves to answer to for the good and bad we do in our lives, therefore, I stand by the belief that every person has to Live and Let Live.