Snowboarding Life

Nichole - Isanti, Minnesota
Themes: sports

When I was nine years old I started snowboarding. When I started I hated it, I kept falling, kept messing up and getting snow down my jacket. When I started I only went to Wild Mountain in a small town in Minnesota. After I got the hang of it I absolutely loved it, it was my passion. When I first started I didn’t care about the tricks that people could do. I just loved the rush of speeding down a fresh powdered hill with nobody on there but me. When I was eleven years old I had a bad accident. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. I was going down a pretty big hill. I was pumped about going off like a two foot tall jump and it wasn’t even that big. When I went off the jump something horrible went wrong my boot had come undone from the binding and I landed on my foot wrong. I broke my leg in two places. Right above my foot and my ankle were shattered. I was in major pain that was the worst feeling that I have ever went through. I wouldn’t wish something like that on my worst enemy. The worst thing about it was that it was the first two or three months of the season and I had broken a bone. I was majorly bummed. I had just gotten new boots and everything. After the whole landing wrong somebody stopped on the hill and asked if I was all right. I told him that I thought that I had broken my leg. He was the nicest guy. He raced down the hill and got the ski patrol. The next thing I new there was snowmobile with a big orange sled hooked to the back. They brought me down to the lodge and off to the hospital. It took along time for me to recover. The nice thing was that I didn’t end up with that big of a scare only about two or three inches long. The accident really showed me how much determination it takes to be in any kind of sports. I was out the whole season and I was pumped about getting back on my board and back on the hills again. Even though I needed to buy a whole new pair of boots again (the hospital had to cut off the right one) that was a drag. Now I’m seventeen years old and still snowboarding all the time. hopefully this can show people that even when you get hurt doing something that you love you always have o get back and keep trying. Never let anything bring you down no matter what the accident was. So anybody who is reading this and has the same passion as me for any sport just remembers to never let your dreams go and always do your best. Now when I race down the hill and do every contest I remember that day and that makes me work even harder then I ever have.