Ramon - issaquah, Washington
Themes: equality

The American Dream!

Our founding fathers said in the Declaration of Independence, “All men are created equal.” But still there is discrimination all over the world. How can this be? This problem has been aroundsince way before I was born. I believe that all men are created equal no matter where they from.

I believe this because when my uncle and his family moved to the United States, everyone looked at them different because he couldn’t speak English. People seemed to look down on him. When he tried to get a job he couldn’t because he isn’t a resident of the United States. When he lived in Mexico he worked in construction and had a clean criminal record and when he came here he couldn’t work just because he isn’t a resident. In my point of view that’s completely wrong. I think if they would have let my uncle work in construction there’s no doubt in my mind he would have worked his way up to a contracting position or higher. It bugs me when people say, “Mexicans come and take our jobs.” It bugs me because if it was up to us we wouldn’t be doing those jobs.

I came to my belief when I saw how hard he was trying to get a job. He ended up with two jobs, both very low, hard jobs just so he could pay the rent. My aunt ended up with one job. With jobs like those you end up being looked down upon. So much for the American dream! My belief has grown over time as I watch the news and they talk about immigration and when I go to my aunt’s house and they talk about their jobs and how hard their jobs are. Most of the time they don’t get to see their kids because they’re at work. My mom ended up baby sitting a lot while they were at work.

I believe that all men are created equal no matter where they’re from. Even though we have come a long way from slavery or racism, discrimination is still alive today. I want to wake up one day, look outside, and see everyone getting along.