Bailey - Grand Rapids, Michigan

I believe in being a phenomenal woman in all that I do, at all times. Looking back at my life I have learned that not being true to who you really are and not respecting the full phenomenal aspects of your life is akin to a sin.

Looking back at my life I remember being in second grade, when my best friend Jatori and I decided to take our small scale talent show to a new level. With the convenient ruse of a Spice Girls song, “Wannabe,” we secretly practiced the most amazing “I’m too sexy,” by Right Said Fred dance; Jatori and I would stay up until eleven during our sleepovers to covertly practice our bodacious moves. All the while, our poor unsuspecting parents would see us dance to “Wannabe” during the day, but knew nothing of our late night brilliance.

Leading up to the performance I had some serious doubts about whether we could pull of this song, but as I wrote “I’m too sexy,” on my white leotard with my mother’s “I stop traffic red” lipstick, I realized that what I was doing would be ground breaking.

Getting to the school that night for the talent show I watched as other groups got on stage and did their pedestrian acts, a comedian, a tap dance, and so on. Standing in the back stage, I had to have been having a true epiphany moment; I knew at that moment something magical was falling on me, in reality it was dust, but at the time I knew I was venturing into a point of no return as a human being.