Just Pee Your Pants

Kate - Logan, Utah

So, I have a little confession to make. Last year, at the age of eighteen, I peed my pants. Yup, that’s right; right in the kitchen with everyone else there to see it, a perfect opportunity for them to mock me forever. But the funny thing was I didn’t really care. Not only did I not care, I thought it was kind of funny and told many other people about it, like I am doing right now. You may think I’m gross and disgusting, and that’s ok, but first, hear me out about why I believe in peeing my pants.

I believe in peeing my pants in a weird round-a-bout way. I don’t actually find it fun to pee my pants, and it’s not like it happens every day. It just has happened a few random times in my life, last year being the most random because of my age. What I love the most about peeing my pants is what happens before it actually happens and what happens after it happens. I don’t just out-of-the-blue pee my pants just because, and it’s not like I just couldn’t make it to the toilet. I pee my pants when I’m laughing extremely hard with close friends who are laughing with me. I love these moments, when you just can’t control anything because whatever it is you’re laughing about is amazingly hilarious or actually, in most cases, quite dumb. I believe in peeing my pants because I believe in laughing. I believe in having fun and being crazy with friends.

The part I like after peeing my pants is the part where I just don’t care what others think of me. This experience could have been terribly embarrassing if I wanted it to be, but I’m comfortable with myself and who I am, so it just didn’t matter and still doesn’t. When I tell others about my adventurous story, most of the time it just brings about more laughter and who doesn’t like to laugh? I love telling people that I peed my pants last year and watching their reaction towards me. It’s honestly quite funny. Some think, “Wow, last year?” One of my roommates was actually quite disgusted by me and wanted to throw up. Others tell me about one of their own silly stories about peeing their pants. I enjoy the fact that I really don’t care what people think of me. I didn’t have to hide the fact that I peed my pants or convince my friends not to ever tell anyone. It’s a wonderful feeling to not have to try to act in a certain way and be “cool.” I like who I am, and that’s all that really matters. If someone else thinks I’m cool, then that is great because they like me for me, wet pants, and all.

Through these random experiences, I have found a part of me that I truly love. I love the fact that I am me. I am not what some other person wants me to be; I am who I want to be. I am optimistic and happy about life and express that through my laughter and crazy ways. I like being spontaneous and peeing your pants is exactly that. Being happy and optimistic is what I am about. I don’t think I have ever really been mad at anyone. I try to see the good in everything even when things get rough, like when I’ve messed the kitchen floor up, and my clothes are gross and smelly. I just laugh at myself and move on.

I don’t need other people to tell me what’s cool and what’s not. I can decide for myself because “I’m a big kid now.” I believe in peeing my pants because I believe in a life full of fun and happy moments; a life that is truly mine and really me and not what someone else believes I should be. I think that Billy Madison’s words of wisdom from the movie Billy Madison sum it all up pretty well when he said, “Peeing your pants is cool!”