Lorrie - Parsons, Kansas

I believe that innocent children should not be abused and/or neglected. There is a lot of abuse that goes on in our society. Some people turn a blind eye to what is happening. Other people try to make a difference. I believe we all can make a difference in a child’s life if we would just try. Children do not deserve to be abused or neglected by their parents, relatives, or acquaintances. Children all have an innocence about them, and once something happens to them, their live’s are changed forever.

I was employed in the social service field for over ten years seeing first hand how abuse and neglect tears families apart. Social workers try to reintegrate these children into their homes by working with the children and their families trying to overcome what caused them to end up where they are. Some children are unable to return to the only families they have known because their families are unwilling to change their bad habits to get them back. Whether their bad habits are drugs and/or alcohol, at the time they are more important to them than their own children. So, in turn, they are put in a system where they are put up for adoption to be adopted by a loving family that may not be able to have children or families that would like to have more children. I believe that all children should have a decent life without living in fear.

I believe that parents don’t have or are unwilling to take time to spend with their children due to their busy lifestyles. Forty years ago, mothers stayed home with their children, and fathers went out and made the living. Nowadays, children are being raised by single parent families, or if they have two parent families, they are both working and don’t have time to spend with their children. I believe that people lose track of the most important thing in life, their families. Adults need to take the time out of their busy schedules to make sure that the little people in their lives are taken care of. Family is the most precious thing a person can have.