Abigail - Milford, Ohio
Themes: family, integrity

I believe that parents should have an open relationship with their children. Giving kids trust and allowing them to make their own decisions while guiding them along the way will help them to make better decisions throughout their life. Kids need room for mistakes. It is more often that children with strict parents will rebel and lash out than the children whose parents gave them trust. Parents need to be understanding and allow their children to be honest with them. Wouldn’t parents prefer their children to be open with them rather than their children lie to them? I believe that parents should give their children trust.       My relationship with my mother is one of my most cherished relationships. My mother is my best friend, I can tell her anything. Growing up my mom was kind of like a single parent. She gave me and my siblings a lot of trust. She would always say, “Give them enough slack on the rope and if they choose to hang themselves with it then reel them back in until they gain that trust back.” Being the oldest I received the most trust and I loved testing the boundaries. Although I broke the trust many times I always seemed to gain it back learning a little something each time. I remember when I was sixteen and my mom caught me drinking. I was out with my friends when she called me telling me that she found out about everything that had been going on that year. As I was driving home I was literally shaking. I thought, “This is it, I’m dead.” I was extremely surprised when my mom sat me down and explained that she was madder about the fact that I had lied rather than the fact that I had been drinking.  I wasn’t allowed to spend the night out that entire summer, but that was my only punishment. My mom always gave me room to recover. She gave me trust and allowed me to learn from my own decisions. I believe parents should give their children room to grow and learn.       I believe that it is with guidance, love, and patience that one grows into the person they shall become. My mother gave me that guidance, that love, and a lot of patience. She pushed me when I fell, making me stronger. I thank my mother everyday for everything she has ever given me. My mother has worked so hard to give her children the world, but I think the most powerful thing I ever received from my mother was her trust. Regardless of how many times I broke that trust she taught me how to recover. She has always been there steering me to be the best person I possibly can. I thank my mother because I believe every child deserves to be open with their parents, and she allowed my home to be just that.