Good Enough Isn’t Good Enough

Alec - Salt Lake City, Utah

Every time I go home and visit my family, I am reminded of why I believe the way I do. In the Latter Day Saint religion, it is customary for the entire family to meet once a week to plan coming events, discuss personal thoughts, and share a scriptural message. At the beginning of every meeting my family recites a few church beliefs called the Articles of Faith and then our family motto: Whatever we do we do, we do our best.

For the longest time I just said the words. It wasn’t until recently that I truly began to feel that way. In high school my parents made a rule that I could not participate in extracurricular activities unless I had at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA. In highschool as long as I did reasonably well, it was good enough, so that’s what I did. As long as I attained that mark, I was satisfied, I became complacent. What bothers me is that I know that a 3.5 was not the best I could do. I know that I underachieved.

I am thankful to my parents for the high standards that they set for me, but I no longer believe in standards. In college I had no standards set, I had no goal for a certain GPA. What I did have was a commitment to myself that I would do my best. With that commitment, I now have a 3.9 GPA, and a feeling of achievement and peace of mind. I know that I have done my best, and that is a great feeling.

I believe in never settling in any aspect of life. I want to be my best today and in the future, both for myself and my future family. I’ve talked with people who have lost that spark in their marriage; they wish that their partner would kiss them and tell them that they love them more often. They rationalize to themselves that because he or she is a good provider, their inadequacies are okay. I don’t believe that. I believe in doing my best and seeking out the best influences to surround myself with. I don’t want to ever leave the house without telling my wife that I love her or ever let her feet be in need of rubbing. She will always have fresh flowers in the house. She will know every day that I love, respect, and cherish her. I don’t want the fire of love to ever dim. I don’t want her to stay with me because I am good enough. I want her to stay with me because I am constantly striving to be the best man that I can be.