Jamie - Louisville, Kentucky
Themes: carpe diem

Life, it isn’t really about the amount of breaths we take, but it’s about the moments that take our breath away. I believe in making the most of everything you are given; that the number of years you live isn’t really that important, but it’s what you put into those years that matters. Some of us may spend our lives regretting the past and always thinking about what we could have done, while others of us are out there embracing every moment we are given. Think about it. Which person would your rather be? We are all blessed with one beautiful life, but what we all do with it is completely up to us. We have the freedom to make our lives be however we please. It is up to us to decide what we want the impact we leave behind to the world to be.

I have noticed that there are some people that live to be ninety and still have done nothing with their lives, while others may only live to be nine or ten years old and have lived a beautiful, impacting, full life. I, myself, am a childhood cancer survivor, and have learned to appreciate everything life has given me. At age twelve I was diagnosed and had reality come crashing down on me. I saw and learned many things at a very young age that most people do not learn until they are older, or do not learn at all. It was hard for me to digest it all at such a young age, but it has forever taught me many important things about life. I made many friends while going through treatment that fought just as hard as me, but did not make it through their journey. Many of them did not live past the age of eleven, but they sure did live full lives. They were able to make most of their dreams come true because they passed away, and they never gave up on anything put in their way. They inspired many people along the way, and lived full impacting lives, which will live on through their loved ones.

How we live and what we do with our lives is totally up to us. Occasionally we are given a second chance, some people give us a blank slate and we can clean up the mistakes we’ve made. Most of the time though, we’ve only got one shot to make everything right, to give it our all. Whatever we do, we should put our heart and soul in it and make it our own. What I am trying to get at is simple, I believe that nothing is handed to us, we must work for everything we are given and make the most of life while we are living.