Casey - Villa Hills, Kentucky

When I was finished with volleyball practice one day my junior year of high school, the girl giving me a ride home was leaving very quickly. So I grabbed all my belongings and started running across the gym. Between that point and the door, I tripped over my own feet, and the next thing I knew, I was going through the air like a flying squirrel. Trying to make sense of the situation, I checked to see if I had broken any bones, and then busted out into side splitting laughter. I could have gotten up from that fall and just walked away with a bruised ego, but laughing at myself turned a little fall into a moment I’ll remember for my whole life.

Laughter is one thing that gets me through the day because even on really bad days, there always seems to be something that I find funny. Some people say that laughter is the best medicine, I could not agree more. I could go into all the medical mumbo jumbo right now and explain why laughter is good for you and your health, but instead all I’m going to say is that laughter is infectious. The sound of laughter filling a room is very uplifting, and even if only for a moment, you can forget about all the worries and stressors in your life. If I trip and fall over my own feet or just get tongue tied, laughing at these faults definitely lightens the moment and eases my embarrassment.

My stress level would be off the charts if I couldn’t laugh at the stupid things that I do everyday, and if I didn’t laugh I would probably self combust… well maybe not. I believe in laughing at yourself, plain and simple!