The Thrill of Dance

Marissa - santa barbara, California

Dance to me is something very personal and sacred. When I perform I get an overall feeling of joy and excitement. Every time I’m on the dance floor I get a rush inside that makes my dance flow. When I’m dancing I feel like I can do anything. Dancing gives me this confidence that fills my body.

I’ve been dancing off and on since I was about six. I’ve taken ballet, funk jazz, jazz, hip hop and modern. But every time I had a brief period in which I stopped dancing I always wanted to go back. The reason why I would stop dancing for a while was because of the immature girls in my classes who would say awful things about me to each other. They were the only reason keeping me from dancing, even though it was one of the biggest passions of mine. But I never ever wanted to stop dancing for good and I never let that happen. I always wanted to dance right back on the dance floor. I missed being a dancer and longed for the thrill of performing in front hundreds of people.

My family used to love watching me do all of my dance routines from each class during my recitals. They were so proud of me. My parents and grandparents always gave me a bouquet of velvety-red roses after my shows. I felt so amazing inside when they congratulated me after every single dance show. My parents pride in me and my dancing affected me immensely and I would actually begin to feel proud of myself, which doesn’t happen very often.

Not only does dancing in performance bring my confidence level up it’s a great form of exercise. It stimulates the endorphins in my brain. Then this makes me even more happy and exhilarated than I already am from the love of dance.

I am currently dancing right now. I’ve always been curious and interested in modern dance so I tried modern this semester for the first time. It turns out that I’m in love with that type of dance! Modern is so amazing and different because it incorporates all kinds of dances from all other cultures, like African. Afro-modern is my favorite part of my modern dance class. It’s so raw and energetic that there is never a day that I’m not panting for air.

Dancing gives me strength to get through life. It drives me and keeps me going. Performing will always be held high in my heart and will make a vast impact on me. I believe dance will always be in my life and I’ll preciously cherish it until I die.