Russell - Fairfield, California

“Music Speaks”

Music has been a part of my life since before I can even remember. As a little boy, I danced to the beat through the tape player. And now as a young adult, I take a slightly more sophisticated approach in music listening: I study the music. Yes, I said that right – I STUDY the music. “Who studies music?” I do! I believe that music is not just an entertaining presentation of sound, but is an ever-changing collection of emotions.

Music is complex art in the form of harmonic and melodic combinations of sounds. Or in my own simple words, “a bunch of different pictures that are changed into a bunch of different sounds.” As crazy as it might sound, music has texture. I know, I know. I never thought that I could ever physically “feel” music either. But that’s not what I mean. Music has texture in the form of, once again, “a combination of sounds.”

For example, that Punk Rock song I heard on the radio last week. The hard-edged, jagged stabs and riffs of that mean electric guitar posed a very “rough” texture of sound. It felt like the music could actually come out and grab me by the neck! Overall, an intense collection of harsh sounds to the ear, not to mention maybe even some physical injury (Turn that down, please). This texture of the music helps produce a certain emotion in the song.

I have always found it surprisingly ironic how I stumbled upon that certain song that conveyed the exact mood I was in at the time. It even pinpointed the car she drove in and what shirt she wore when she broke up with me! Just kidding, except for the “breaking up” part… Occasionally I find myself matching my mood with the music on my MP3 player. She said hi to me? What’s up Musiq Soulchild! She made my heart melt? Good evening, Eric Benet. She doesn’t want to see me anymore? “Evanesence, it’s me again…”

Whether it be in my room in private, out-loud to the whole neighborhood, or on one of my few Myspace blogs (honestly, I don’t log on three times a day), my music reflects upon my emotional condition. For personal reasons, I like to take my high to the next higher lever with that feel-good soul music. But I also like to dig myself into deeper dirt with that dreaded “makes-me-cry-harder” music… It’s my way of telling everyone “hey, let’s go hang out!” or “leave me alone!”

With the many different genre’s of music I listen to, I believe it expresses the way I carry my emotions each day. So let me do everyone a favor and turn my stereo up to full blast. That way I can tell them I’m carrying a grin from ear to ear. Or I can tell them that it’s really not funny to mess with a kid and his teenage drama just for the hell of it…