J - Richmond, Kentucky

I believe in safety pins. When things fall apart, they are there to help bind them together. A broken zipper, a button whose thread has worn away, a hole in your favorite pair of jeans, a safety pin can fix these things and make your worn-down article of clothing seem new again, or at least temporarily fix the problem at hand. I can never remember actually purchasing safety pins, but when I needed one it was always there. Stashed away in random drawers, I was always able to find one.

Much like I’ve always had a safety pin to patch things together when they fall apart, I’ve always had my family to help put me back together when I fall apart. Whether it was a hug from my Mom after a bad day, words of advice from my Dad when I was discouraged, knowing I had a family to support me made me feel whole.

It was only a couple of years ago that I realized I needed to be a safety pin, too. My Grandmother on my Mom’s side had passed away after battling the affects of a stroke for over ten years. Although I was sad over her passing, who I really hurt for was my Mom. She had just lost her Mother and couldn’t even bring herself to cry, I remember her telling me about how she was okay, but I think she was trying to convince herself more than anyone else. I sat and listened as she reflected on the relationship she had with her mother, and told me about how she wanted to remember her. I just sat and listened, and I knew for that moment that that was all she needed, just by being there and hearing what she had to say I was being her safety pin. Letting her vent to me was helping her bind back together, if only for a little while.

So, not only do I believe in safety pins, I believe in being a safety pin. Do not be afraid to seek someone for comfort when you are falling apart and wanting to feel whole again, but be ready and willing when someone needs you to help pull them back together.