Marjorie - Lake Park, Georgia
Themes: humanism

This I Believe- An Essay On Humanity

I recently read that all of human kind it united in the belief that it can better itself. I agree that it can, but I cannot possibly think that it will.

Humanity is capable of many beautiful things: humans can love and paint the Sistine Chapel. But I have been disillusioned. Men say that we are a superior race, but we rape, murder, steal, cheat, lie, molest, betray and discriminate. We are capable of the most disgusting things. Look in a history book: the Holocaust, massacre of the Indians, slavery, and assassinations. I can place more trust in my dog than I can in humanity. A dog is a man’s best friend. But I think that the relationship is one sided. A dog will love his master until the end, even when said master takes it to the pound because it is expendable.

Humanity has conquered and enslaved. Humanity is greedy and can be blinded by it. Men kill in the name of God. Men will kill those who don’t believe the same way. Yet it is stated in God’s law: thou shalt not murder. Period. There is no ‘unless’. Yet how many wars and crusades have been fought in his name? God’s law has been violated by those who claim to uphold it.

I was raised in a good home. But all around me I saw an ugliness in the world where there should have been beauty. In third grade a friend of mine was called a ‘nigger who never should have been freed’. I didn’t know what that meant, but I learned. In fourth grade I learned about the Holocaust, and in fifth grade I learned about the Spanish Inquisition. American history told me about slavery and racism. I then realized that the world is beautiful, humanity is not.

In a world where men can put others in a concentration camp and can shoot a man over something so petty as the color of his skin, I have been disillusioned. There is good in man, I have seen it. But I have seen so much more brutality and hate in this world that I cannot believe that humanity will ever better itself.