Justin - Lafayette, California

I Believe in Perfection

I’m boy who’s not very different from most, I play sports, hangout with friends, go to school, but there is one thing that is different – I believe in perfection. I have grown up in the fairy tale world of Moraga, California. Here, there are no dragons, castles or knights. The only demons we must face, sorcerers we must slay lie on the written page, hidden in standardized tests and college applications. In this little fairy tale suburb, the quest is not to save a princess but to be the best.

Yes, here in Moraga we treasure an A like gold, knowing we are one more step-up on the academic ladder to success, and everyone knows, success is the source of happiness. Perfection is what we strive for and everyday we fight to achieve it. Does it matter if our GPA is 4.5? NO! We still aren’t perfect, we still haven’t made it to the top, I mean, none of us have received our Princeton acceptance letter yet. In the town of Moraga, we are pushed and we push ourselves.

In this town, mediocrity is unacceptable. The idea that we may be corralled in with the norm disgusts us. After fighting as hard as we have, how could we accept the disgrace of average? We know better than to be content mingling with the abject commoner of Middle America. We fight to get ahead. We understand that the road to happiness is not paved with good intentions, but victories.

Now, if you have failed to see through my sarcasm, my fakeness, my façade, it is because it has been honed living in such a “perfect” place. You see, here, we are taught to mask our problems, our emotions, our beliefs, because these things, like C’s, prevent perfection. This fairy tale town is just another nightmare. It takes away our youth, commanding that we live each day for the next, preaching to fight now for our future. It forces perfection on its youth, forging hallow shells that go on to lead “successful” lives.

I believe this town is poison because of what it mandates. This is what I believe. And I am proof, all because – I too believe in perfection.