Cherishing Life for Everything It Is Worth

Keri - Richmond, Kentucky
Themes: death, gratitude

In 2005 my twenty-one year old cousin got in a fatal motorcycle accident and had his life taken away in a matter of seconds. The moment I saw his hopeless body laying there in his casket my heart melted into pieces. I left that day with a new outlook on life, a belief so simple yet never felt so real until this day. With the reality of death looking me in the eyes I came to realize nothing in life is guaranteed. In the blink of an eye, someone’s life, family and future can be changed forever.

I strongly belief and appreciate everyday what I have in life and never take anything for granted.

The next day after attending the funeral I sat in my room and wondered what life had in store for me and how far down the road of my journey I was going to make it. I fathomed with the question whether people live with the same belief as me or not. As I sat and ate at a small pizzaria, hands full of grease from the most delicious pizza, I observed the people around me and came to my own answer to my question. I noticed many people going about their day with the mid set that they will be living forever and noticed how many people take little things for granted.

I was taught simple polite gestures such as “please” and “thank you.” It boggled my mind how many people looked right passed the person that was holding the door open for them and found it so hard to use polite, thankful words. Smiling is what makes me happy and smiling at a stranger passing by can be the best feeling for me. I always have the positive attitude that my act of kindness could have made their day. My attitude now, more so then before this tragedy hit home, is more positive and a sense of appreciation for life and everything I have makes me comprise this outlook and perspective of life as a blessing. I believe that everything given to someone is a blessing. I appreciate all the people that have crossed my path thus far, whether they have been good or bad experiences. I take every experience in life and try to make it positive, in other words, I learn and benefit from the negative ones. Every obstacle in life I take as a challenge I am faced with and never give up or back away.

My cousin was thankful for everything he had in his life, especially his family. I was thankful to be a part of his life he cherished so dearly. Since this eye-opening incident I realize how important everything in life is. I strongly belief and appreciate everyday what I have and learned never to take anything for granted.