Living for Me

Jodi - Angola, New York

I believe dogs are not just pets. With my experiences, my dog has become a strong part of my family. Dogs have feelings, they show they are sad when you leave the house, they show they are excited to play with toys, and they get happy when you come home. They are not complicated like humans, but they are much like us. They love, they care, and they comfort, and do most things we are happy doing.

So now I am 20 years old. I sit down with the family for our last dinner together before I leave for my third year of college. After dinner I finish packing and place my entire luggage by the front door, preparing for an early arrival the next morning. Finally, I walk in my room and realize my dog, Abby, has been watching me pack the entire evening. She had been laying belly down on my bed, her head on her paws and eyes open. As I was walking in my room she refused to pick up her head, only allowing her eyes to move in my direction, the way a human would pout. She knew I was leaving the next day, not being able to fathom exactly how long I would not be by her side; she just knew she wanted me not to leave her.

After this night, in late August, I hadn’t exactly thought of how much my dog loved and cared for me. It proved to me that very instant, that she lives for me.

Thus, I believe that dogs live for humans. My dog seems to get a sense of how I am. She knows every time I pull in the driveway, she dashes to my car, waits for the door to open and me to step out. She greets me with a “big sloppy doggy kiss.” Abby doesn’t need my words to let her know how I am feeling each day, she senses it. For instance, she won’t leave my side if I am upset. She has become part of my family. If I go to bed upset she will shove her nose against my bedroom door to push it open and let her in. Abby will stand by my bed waiting for my approval so she can sleep on my bed for the night. As my dog, Abby has grown up to communicate with me without words. She loves me and shows it through her actions. She loves playing outside. Every time I am outside she runs to her toy and barks until I play with her. If I walk away from her and her toy, then she pouts. I will verbally ask her to go swimming and her tail wags fast as she darts to the back door. I know Abby loves being with me. She won’t stop swimming, playing and so on until I go in the house and she just follows me. When I sleep, she sleeps, when I swim, she swims, when I am outside, she wants to be outside, and so on. She looks up to me and shadows me and that shows me how much dogs can love a human being.

Irrefutably, in a way my dog is selfish. She wants my attention all the time. It’s not a bad thing though. I believe dogs live to comfort humans and never leave their side. It’s awkward to say but my dog is one thing that will always show everlasting love.