Kind Words

Michaela - Richmond, Kentucky

The one thing that I believe in is what most people should go by, whether younger children or grown-ups. Yes people of all ages are made fun of or are put down in some way by someone. It happens to everyone sometime in their lifetime, even though it shouldn’t. The thing that I believe in is that you should always keep your head up high and don’t let others make you feel less than what you really are. We are all people and I feel everyone should be treated with equal respect.

Ever since I was a little I always had problems fitting in. I was either to fat or ugly. There was always something wrong with me. Not only would the girls be making fun of me, but the boys would too. It would hurt my feelings so bad and I would come home from school crying at least three times a week. Finally my mom told me the facts of life and told me that people were always going to put you down to make themselves higher, then she told me the special saying that I am now sharing with you. After that my confidence went up for the most part and other people didn’t bother me. Ever since then I have lived by this saying.

I just recently learned that adults get picked on as well as children. I went to colonel camp before the 2007 fall semester started. This camp was given by Eastern Kentucky University. This was the first year they had it and it was offered to freshman or new students. Everyone that went was in a certain group. Our group became so close. One afternoon our group was sharing our thoughts and feelings to one another. The quietest girl in our group had opened up to us saying that we were the only friends that she had ever had. She said that during her school years people had made fun of her and she didn’t find the courage to face other people. That was when I shared my special saying. I see her now and she is always smiling and she seems so happy. A couple of days ago she came to me and thanked me for the kind words that I had shared and said that she had all kinds of new friends.

I then realized that those special words that my mom had cheered me up with had changed someone else’s life as well. I feel now that with anything we can change someone’s life forever, if it is only with a smile or a sharing a special saying. I think that this saying would help anybody. I think that everyone should take this saying to the heart and believe in it because it can do miracles.