I Believe in Music.

Matthew - Richmond, Kentucky

I believe in music. Some of my earliest memories are sitting in a room watching my father and a few of his close friends playing guitar for hours. The shear enjoyment music brings to people is unrivaled. The feeling of just sitting down and playing a great song from start to finish is one of the most satisfying things I could ever do, especially when there’s someone listening who enjoys the music just as much as myself.

I believe that music can unify people; it can break down and move past any barrier set by any group of people for any amount of time. Every culture on the face of our planet has adopted music into their every day life.

I believe that music is one of the most efficient ways to reach true freedom. Listening to the sultry growl of Louis Armstrong on a sunny afternoon is perhaps one of the most relaxing, most free moments one could experience. Sitting alone in a room, post some recent tragedy, with nothing but a guitar and some old blues songs; music is therapy at its finest.

Letting your yet-to-be born children listen to classical music in the womb has been proven to make your children smarter later in life. Kids who learn to play a musical instrument growing up have better test scores and grades than kids who don’t, not to mention the fact that playing an instrument will undoubtedly make one more cultured.

The power of music and its connection to our mind is undeniable. Neither preacher nor president could ever be as convincing as a well-written song with a good melody. It’s been recorded that people have chosen to take their own lives and also decide to keep living them, being driven by nothing but music; that perfect lyric at the perfect moment telling you to hold on or to just let go. Something about music can reach right into us and touch our souls.

But why do I really believe in music? Because it’s a fact that I would not be the person I am today without music. Music is a necessity in my life. Music is not background noise; music is a creation that can move people. It drives me to produce new things for new people. All I want is for there to be more good music. The idea of creating something that just may change someone’s life is thrilling to me. If I can sit in a coffee shop with a guitar, and introduce a young musician to Jimi Hendrix, it makes me feel like I’ve done something, I’ve improved that kids’ life. Music makes me high.