Colby - Logan, Utah
Themes: pleasure

In today’s world, time is a commodity that nearly none of us posses. In the awful mess of school, work, family, finances and the other million things that so tend to clutter our lives the essential “me-time” has gone out the window. Throughout this organized chaos I call life there is one thing that has kept my sanity, a rock of which stabilizes my world. I believe that this one thing has saved my life. I believe in the power of a Sunday nap.

It’s been a tradition in my life ever since I was sixteen and got my first job. Every Sunday after church and after partaking of hearty lunch, I would retire to my room and close the blinds. Next I turn off my cell phone and clear my head of any thought or worry. After that I’d be pretty much comatose for the next four to five hours, and nothing has changed since them.

My wife has called it excessive and my parents have even said it’s a waste of time, but I say nay to the nay-sayers. Those four to five hours our probable the most wisely invested hours of the week. Even scientific research has shown that a nap every now and again increases productivity, boosts our immune system and in my opinion gives hope to the hopeless. When life gets crazy and I feel like I’m going to explode, I’ll that I have to do is look forward to that beautiful oblivion on Sunday and I know that everything is going to be all right.

Many have asked me how I can find the time to take four to five hours out of a day and do nothing but sleep. That answer is easy, I don’t have the time, I make it.

There have been a myriad of things that have tried to take me from sacred napping time, mostly coming in the form of church callings, Monday morning exams, term papers and responsibility to visit in-laws and so forth. But I’m happy to say that with some simple finesse I’ve been able to overcome all of them. When the Bishop says there’s going to be a meeting, I say I have plans. When deadlines for assignments and exams are staring me in the face, I give it the bird and go to sleep. I know that soon will come children, a career and all the eternal busy work that life can throw at me, but nap time isn’t going anywhere.

Now my friends I hope that you might have also been inspired this day and will soon participate with me in the glory that is the Sunday nap. Put off for tomorrow what can be done on Sunday. Although impossible it might seem impossible now, I know we all have it in us to blow off everything and just go to sleep. In the words of some cool Latin guy, “Veni vidi dormivi,” I came, I saw, I slept.