Erika - San Diego, California

Everyone’s life is different, everyone’s problems are different, and everyone has had a life-changing experience in one way or another, forever changing the way they not only live life, but the way they see it. My mom, my hero, bounced back from a terrible divorce, married an amazing man who I call “dad” and got not only her life on track, but mine as well. She fought hard for what she believed in, she worked hard so I could have a perfect childhood, and she taught me everything I need to know to become a strong, intelligent woman. As far as I was concerned, my life was perfect, and there was nothing that would stand in my way to make my life shatter to pieces. That is, until my mom died less than a year ago.

Words cannot explain what my mother meant to me. Her unparalleled strength and wisdom made me want to become even half the woman she was. No one compared to her. She knew what she wanted in life, and she fought for it. She made her way to the top, became president of a prestigious healthcare company, retired, and eventually started a pharmaceutical company that immediately took off. All the while, she found time to feed me, clothe me, raise me and love me unconditionally.

I truly believe that everything in life happens for a reason and I believe there is a reason for my mother’s death. Actually, I believe there are several. Some have already happened: I met the guy of my dreams (I know, I’m 22, I shouldn’t be talking like that, but I believe he is the one for me and my mother brought us together), I reconciled with my father and step-mother (I believe my mom pushed that one as well), and I learned to really appreciate life because you never know when it’s going to end. But there is one reason that I will treasure forever, and that’s learning that I am a product of my mother: I have unparalleled strength and wisdom that no one can take away from me. I am like no one else in this world. I have finally realized what I want in life (to be just like her) and nothing will stop me from getting what I want. When she was alive, I was terrified of the fact that I was just like her, and I found myself trying to avoid it. Now I realize that her qualities are in me, and I will forever treasure them, and live the life she wanted for me: to be healthy and happy, which is exactly what I am.