Your Own Shade of Green

Brianna - Logan,, Utah

One of my personal beliefs is that every person has total control over their own individual happiness. People seem to think that they are just a product of their environment. To a certain extent that is true; we will all be somewhat similar to our parents no matter what we do. But I refuse to agree with the thought process that we can only be happy to the extent that our environment allows us. I think everyone can make themselves happy, or happier by taking control of their thoughts and actions.

College is an example of when each person has control of if they are happy or not. When the new generation of freshmen gets settled into their dorms, they are all being given the equal chance to have a great year. Or should I say, “Make a great year.” It is up to each individual freshman to make the most out of their upcoming year. When I came to college I had to decide how to make myself happy. I had moved from Canada into a different country, had never been to Logan, and did not know anyone. When I decided to do well in my classes, meet a lot of people and get involved on campus, it was easy to find some degree of happiness.

Being a new freshman I decided that the best way to explore for myself what I had to offer the school, town and world was to get out there and get involved in serving others. I joined the group Aggies for Africa to raise awareness of the genocide going on in Africa and I realized that even if it feels that there is always someone else better off than you, there is also always someone who’s situation is worse than yours. I also got out of my comfort zone by serving those that I had the ability to serve. The experience of working with down syndrome people helped me realize everything I have been given. I learned that I needed to put effort into service, because opportunities didn’t just walk up to my doorstep. While going out and finding those opportunities to help others, I found a new source of happiness grow within me.

Everyone needs different things to reach their “happiness threshold” and learning what that is for me was crucial. Realizing specific blessings and abilities can help each of us see that we all have something to offer this world. Not getting too absorbed and obsessed with everyone else’s accomplishments, but focusing on our own achievements can help us feel a sense of self-satisfaction. Learning to appreciate what I have is key to my own happiness. I had to make a conscience decision to take control of my own life by changing my attitude.

Even just seeing the rising sun can brighten my heart and mind. Learning to appreciate the wonderful magnitude of how the sun will come up every morning with out fail and taking a second to notice and absorb the beauty of it, has great alleviating benefits. Learning to appreciate the small wonders and blessings in life have always can surprised me how happy it can make me feel.

I have learned that the grass is always greener on the other side, and always will be whichever side you’re on. The trick to life is to make your side as green as you can.