Ryan - knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: sports

This I believe

The sport of hockey is a way of life; those who stepped out on the ice when we were kids and loved the game will know exactly what I am talking about. As for the others who haven’t experienced the great game of hockey, are truly missing out, not only with a sport but many life lessons and experiences that they will live with through the duration of their lives!

Hockey is a team sport, thus every member of the team will either succeed as a team or fail as a team. When I first strapped up my first pair of skates when I was just a mite in hockey, I had no idea that the sport dealt with so much more than just slapping a puck into a net. I later found out with the Knoxville Ice Bears Junior Travel Team that hockey relies on communication, teamwork, hard work, getting along with fellow members who you may dislike, and competition, all of which life is all about. My coach, Joe Sardano is one of the most inspiring coaches I have ever had the opportunity to work with. Sure Sardano was a tough guy, yelled at us when we did something wrong but he always had a motivational side of him that truly lit everyone’s fire to do better on the next shift. At the beginning of each season the Ice Bears always had a rough start because we never played as a team. Joe then stepped in a corrected the problem; he brought the team together as one and allowed us to truly motivate each other to play our best. In life we all need someone that will lend their hand to make something better. Sardano was the reason I found out that hockey was a way of life.

I have been a hockey player all my life and being with a team of guys that either love you one moment or hate you the next is exactly what life is all about. Hockey allowed me to realize that in life you are sometimes ahead and sometimes you are behind, but always remember the times when you are ahead, the rest doesn’t matter. From personal experiences, when you are carrying the puck up the ice with your head down and you get completely railed to the ground by the opposing team, remember that just because I got knocked down doesn’t mean that I am down for good, I can’t quit because if I do quit then I am quitting on myself! I believe that hockey is a way of life!