Adam - Baltimore, Maryland

I am an artist who believes that everything happens for a reason. I always want to know the answer to questions I find intriguing to indulge in. I problem-solve, which is what every artist should do with his or her work. I strive to grow from my experiences and the experiences of others. In that sense, I find critiques in my classes at the Maryland Institute College of Art crucial because it helps the artist and everyone active in discussion learn from mistakes or successes and grow as an artist and as a person. For my own work, I reflect on the problems I have or have not solved in my work (or in my life) and then apply what I have learned to the work I do presently. Because I am in a community with different artists, I feel like I have grown as rapidly in one semester here as in any time in my life. Being surrounded by different views and potent personalities, I have become more accepting and open-minded, which helped me define who I am, which, in turn, is helping me find my place in the art world.

Art is my life. It is my found reason to be here on Earth. I have been creating and destroying, building and demolishing, ever since I learned how to hold a pencil and a roll of scotch tape, so my mother says. It is my passion and my first love and I am overjoyed to be in an art school where I can grow and learn more about art and myself as the years progress. Art lets me project what I think and/or feel in a way that most people cannot.

One reason why I love art has grown is because there are no boundaries when making art. There is no limit to my imagination. I believe that understanding the fundamentals of how to approach something is important, but the fundamentals are only the jumping-off point to creating great art. My art teacher once told my class, “Once you know the rules, then you can break them.” In art school, I have kept in mind the fundamentals that my high school teacher taught me and I use what I know to make pieces that I never thought I would ever create.