Pitha - South Bend, Indiana

I believe in praying. I used to think that praying and speaking to a god was an old belief for people who lived 100 year ago. It did not apply to me or people of my generation. I even thought that it was a wrong belief because it was too subjective. It was similar to an idea that a boy should not study hard, but instead going out and play or hang out there with his friends. I grew up thinking this way. I thought getting along with other was much more important than getting a good grade from school. But after I graduated from a college and started working, I realized that work well with others was not enough to get promoted. When there was a promotion, I was not even on the list. I concerned so much about others’ feeling that I did not aware of my goals. I wanted to get promoted and got a higher career position. Those are my goals. But my mind was not strong enough to abandon enjoyable life with friends and struggle toward my goals.

My life went on like that without any change until I met Dr. Boonchai. He is the owner of a language institute. He got a Fulbright scholarship and some 14 international scholarships. He was also the recipient of teaching awards from the University of Pennsylvania 4 years consecutively. It was amazing to me. I yearn to reach just half of his success. I asked him how he managed to succeed in everything he did. He shared his secret of his success with me. His secret was praying. He believed that everyone knows how to be successful, but their minds are not strong enough to achieve their goals. Praying helps your mind get stronger. So, I began praying. A Sanskrit prayer I applied was 10 minutes long. It took me 3 weeks to practice before I could pray without a script. At that time, I became aware that if I could persevere in memorizing a 10 minutes prayer, I could do the same for anything. That was the first lesson I got from praying. Later on, I translated the prayer. It talks about asking for help from the mightiest Gods in preventing me from suffering and sins. I prayed every day until felt Gods were somehow watching me. I do not dare to sin against them. I do not dare to give up my perseverance toward my goals because I am afraid that Gods will not help me anymore if I give up. That was the other thing I have got from praying. I keep praying and I am positive that someday in the future, I will find other benefits from praying. And I hope that in the near future, I will have a chance to answer the question “what is the secret to my success?” When that day comes, my answer will definitely be praying.