Private vs. Public

Melissa - Suisun, California

Every parent has that one dream, the dream that they can send their child to the best school out there. That they can go to schools which have uniforms, high-end security, one-on-one tutoring, class sizes fewer than 20, and daycare. Well I never had to wonder what it felt like to go to a private school; I went to private school from kindergarten through middle school.

Over the years I went to three different private schools. At each one I had a different experience. However, they all had something in common; I loved each one. In each school I was able to learn and participate in something amazing. My experiences in private school are something that I will cherish forever.

At each private school my class sizes were under twenty students. With class sizes that small the teachers were able to spend one-on-one time with each student. I felt like I was able to learn more and faster in these environments than I would have in a public school.

In each school I attended there were awards and special days throughout the year to encourage the students. Each award or day kept the students interested in school; they wanted to come so that they would receive an award or help earn a special day. Grandparents Day was my favorite event of each school year. On that one day your grandparents could come to school and see what you were learning. They would visit your classroom, where the teacher would have a project for you to do with your grandparents. Then there would be a lunch for everyone in the chapel. After school my grandparents would then take my brother and me out for something fun. I loved this day because I didn’t get to see my grandparents very often.

By the time I entered high school my parents though that I should go to public school. In this way they hoped I would be better prepared to step out into the world. I found the experience to be eye opening. Everything was different than what I had grown up with. The class sizes were bigger and not everyone was as smart as I was use to. I had to change many things so that I wouldn’t stand out as much.

Not everything was bad however. I did join many clubs, committees, and did many hours of volunteer services. I was also able to get a part time job at the end of my sophomore year; where I am still working. I realized that I had far more opportunities to do regular things, such as clubs and jobs, in public school.

While evaluating my future goals I decided that my children will attend a private school. Public school has its advantages, but I feel that private school would give my children a better education and experience. My experiences in private school far outweighed my experiences in public school.