Jessica - Sugar Land, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that happiness is a choice. It is a state of mind that enables us to live healthy and fulfilling lives. Human beings should do everything in their power to ensure that their mental state is in the appropriate position and condition for achieving happiness. I believe that the meaning of life is to achieve ultimate happiness and that should be the goal of all six billion souls on this planet.

One of my college professors told us a story one day about something one of his teaching assistants told him. She said in China depression is classified as a character flaw. We inquired further about how she came to this conclusion and he said that at first they prescribe more physical activity and if that treatment fails, it is then classified as a character flaw because the individual should be able to control their own state of wellbeing.

I agree with this theory but only to a certain extent. I think that one can alter their state of mind on their own if they try hard enough; the trick is having the ability and the willpower to do so. That is only an ideal situation because some people possess mental disorders that inhibit their minds from achieving “normal”, fully functioning states. I know that these people cannot fully control their minds but what they are sometimes able to do is seek help from others.

Through seeking help, these individuals can interact with others. I believe that no one ever has to be alone. Sometimes those that do not have a level of control over their own minds feel that they are alone. I believe that there are many places people can go to connect with others and develop a sense of belonging, even though they may not always feel as though they can.

A person can have control over their own state of mind even if they do not have control over certain situations in their lives. Human beings do not have to suffer; many times they transform themselves into completely different people by merely changing their mental outlook. A new and positive outlook on things can completely change a person’s life. I believe that everyone has a purpose in life, but one cannot just wait around for it to come find them. Carpe Diem! Seize the day! I believe that every human being has the capacity to be happy, to be not alone, and to live a meaningful life. All you have to do is take action. This I believe.