Daniel - Auburn, Washington

Danny decamp

Today as a young person in American I feel a sense of hopelessness. They say we are the future, (and we are), and until now that had been something to look forward to. I lay awake some nights wondering what a generation of kids can do now to circumvent the mistakes being made today. Why should I care if I am the future if the future is far from anything to look forward to? For the most part the United States has become a country of ignorance and misled ideas. We have a country full of religions and religious people, most of them are some form of Christianity. Now half those people are ignorant, they are usually bias, not economical, and care little about the issues outside of their country as long as gas isn’t going to cost them anymore. On the other side of the rainbow you have another large group of religious citizens who are minorities, who remain quiet, and believe good things will come to those who wait. Now it’s upsetting to see a good portion of our country’s citizens settle for injustice, scared of what might happen if they say “this isn’t right”.

For the record I am not an atheist or a communist, I believe in god, and individual rights. But I feel as If people don’t say what they want because they believe all their pain and suffering will be worth it in the end. “Religion is the opium of the people” a quote by Karl Marx. Although it is the common belief to turn the other cheek when struck by another, did David not stand up against Goliath? People should know great things can be accomplished by those who reside under the radar. But by no means am I encouraging violent uprisings with the metaphor I chose, instead for those who feel as if they have no voice, no chance, no hope; to speak up. I also feel like each religion wants supremacy over one another but are not all religions based on the belief of bettering mankind, and bring people closer? Are they not doing the opposite? Although they bring groups of people together, there opinions become based on that of the church and feel no need to assert themselves with people of other denominations. Also religion seems to disable the basic human nature to ask, “why?” and function autonomously. Everyone just needs to get closer and realize we need to work together or ultimately meet our demise.

Now on the other hand, the voices and opinions most commonly heard these days are from people who aren’t willing to accept anything different from what they believe. They love Jesus Christ, and all of his children, but on the other hand want to know, “what’s stopping genocide, and world hunger going to do for me?” They don’t believe in global warming, and the consequences of what they’re doing, and driving now. Although today they might not be the outright racist’s and bigot’s we were several decades ago. Today they look at the very people they pushed away into government housing, reservations, and other acceptable forms of alienation; and call them lazy. Yes, some people have escaped their fate, but others had no choice but to accept it. Although it’s not impossible to escape a bad neighborhood, it’s by no means fair compared to someone from a good one.

Religion is by no means our sickness nor is it our cure, this I believe is our dilemma.