Shantel - Severn, Maryland
Themes: pleasure

I’m not sure what happened, when I was little, the days were so long, and I could not wait for recess to come. You start out in the class room, sitting crisscross apple sauce on your colorful mat while the teacher reads to you and you magically appear in a cottage next to snow white and the 7 dwarves. You create a masterpiece with your fingers and imagination is your guide. Somehow you manage to work up an appetite during the long hours between arriving at school and snack time. Some learning, a little exercise in the gym, then lunch with your friends; you manage to fit all of this in before noon.

As I get older it seem as though the time in my day is withering away. I think that pretty soon I’ll wake up and then it will be time for bed. I’m under the impression that no one else notices, this seemingly altered 24 hours appears to suffice for everyone else in the world. My day just doesn’t play out the same anymore. Either I’m insane or everyone else is just clueless.

I woke up this morning nearly 20 minutes after my alarm sounded. I needed to be out of the house by 9AM, then off to the gas station, and then to school by 9:31AM to sit in my car to finish homework, since I had no time for it the night before. After that, it’s off to class for an hour and 15 minutes, a 15 minute “break,” class again, and more homework directly after,…a never ending cycle. Once I get out of class at 5:15, I have to rush and pick my niece up from school before 6 o’clock. Then make dinner, which during the week usually consists of something that goes in the microwave or came out of a box with 5 steps. After dinner it’s help my niece with her homework then do my homework and by the time I’m done it’s off to bed.

A lucky weekend comes around, and time plays in slow motion, just the way I want it. No time to be out of bed; I lye there’s as long as I want. Sure there’s homework to be done, but I have plenty of time to finish it. If I wanted to I could finger paint and play or even disappear down the hole with Alice and the Mad Hatter. When we’re little we don’t follow a routine and we have ample time in our day. I believe that as adults we have to find time for recess or the days will just pass us by.