Evan - Freeland, Washington
Themes: courage

White Marble

The closet opens to reveal a terrible clamor within; it is as if a whirlwind ran through an Art Supplies closet. Across one wall, there was even a decent splay of cheese. Perhaps in the late Jurassic period a kingdom had been formed here then, out of the great Cheese Ocean, a typhoon formed and blew the entire kingdom all about the closet. With a click of a switch outside, the closet is no longer a dark place, but a lit place. This is, no improvement of course. A pale hand extends into the depths of the closet and withdraws a box. The box seems to be made of the simplest materials except when a cloth passes over it. It reveals the white squares to be white oak, and the black squares to be void-dark obsidian. Soon the box is opened to reveal the pieces it contains, 32 pieces, 16 in abyssal obsidian, and 16 in a glowing white marble. Carefully a piece is withdrawn at random; the piece is a white marble pawn, nearly twice as heavy as its pitch-black counterpart. Was this because the weight of the good intentions was incredibly massive as compared to the weight of evil ideals? Then, the board is set. From against the one who had fetched the board, there was another. He is old, only perhaps 85 years in birthdays. But it seems as though he was never young, it seems as though one day he just stepped out of a tree with a chessboard in his hand. But as skilled as he was, he seemed to always have a hundred excuses as why he couldn’t, or didn’t want to, play chess. And when forced to play it, he continually pretended that he was thoroughly bored or annoyed with the games proceeding, even if he really is having fun. Between this ancient figure and the young one is a chessboard, and directly in front of this old man was a series of pieces in the Abyssal obsidian. Was it known to the pawns that many of them would be destroyed before this was over, was it known to the knights that none of there number would remain, all would be obliterated. And did the queen know that she would defeat all but a few before she herself fell to the ground and was defeated? Some half way through a difference began, one could say it was unapparent and subtle, but it was that as the Amateur was completely unwilling to leave even the tiniest piece, and it was what he believed that even the tiniest pawn must be remembered for a pawn is often the awesome force that topples a negligent king. And with that thought, the board was cleared; only four pieces remained on the battlefield that once housed thirty-two. There was a Bishop, a rook, and two kings. What ensued is one of the hardest checkmates that exists, though it is possible to get a checkmate with a king, a rook, and a bishop, it can take over 100 moves if played correctly. And nearly 40 minutes later the deed was done, the game fought. Would ever again a checkmate present itself? Doubtful. But it was this one win that made it all worth it.

Checkmate

It is this I believe, that even though I am less then a pawn on the chessboard of life, this board is yes the most important in my life. I may be insignificant, as a pawn, but I still matter to everyone around me.