My Way of Self-Expression

Haruna - Richmond, Indiana

People wear clothing in order to live. In Japan, we say that food, clothing and shelter are necessary to live. However, some people don’t think clothing is just for living, but also for other reasons. Here is an example. “Why are you wearing such strange clothes?” my mother often used to ask me. Every time I answered, “This is my fashion.” That’s why I like wearing clothes. The clothes which I wear are a part of my body. Personality cannot be seen, but people can tell my personality just by looking at what I wear. It is a kind of self-expression. I believe in my fashion.

Some friends of mine talk to me about my fashion when we pass each other. And then we talk about fashion for chitchat. Because I am shy, I rarely speak to someone I don’t know well. But I feel like I can make friends with someone who says to me, “I like your skirt.” To just say a sentence like that can be the start of a friendship with me.

There was a person who knew my face and I recognized her face, but we hadn’t had any conversation. One day we had a chance to talk to each other, and even though it was only a small conversation, she guessed my likes and dislikes. How did she know about me? Did she stalk me? I stopped wondering and asked her. She briefly replied, “Because of your fashion.” I always want to be just like me, so her answer was meaningful for me. I care a lot about how I combine clothes in order for them to look good on me. The combination is more important than each piece of clothing I wear. Sometimes my fashion shows my personality even better than when I use words.

Almost all people have their own ways of self-expression: playing instruments, singing, dancing, playing sports, painting and writing, to name a few. I like music, taking pictures, and painting as ways of self-expression. Fashion is one of the ways of self-expression for me, and also it is necessary for daily life. That’s why it charms the pants off me! Moreover, thinking about what I will wear the next day makes me feel happy.

Recently, my mother sometimes buys clothes for me. She will say, “I guessed you would like this skirt, so I bought it.” Even if I do not like it, I have the confidence to make it my own fashion. In addition, she knows my fashion, in other words: my favorite designs of clothes and my beliefs. I believe my mother and my friends know me through my clothes. I believe in fashion.