Jessie - Petoskey, Michigan

I believe in great stories. The great stories are the ones that flow though the ages. Cultures will tell them over and over again. Their messages will move and change with every soul who uses their voice to tell to others. They are beautiful landmarks which hold the human story. When I was a child, stories were the most wonderful thing in the world.

My imagination as a child was opened up by great stories. I had many wonderful and grand adventures with my siblings. The thing about a great story, I feel, is that I could travel anywhere. When I was being read to by my mother there was closeness I felt with her. While I dreamed, as a child stories opened up windows in my mind. I have to say my siblings had the same experience. My sister Molly always had a book with her as she grew up. Molly went into English, and she is going to be a poet. I read some of her poems. They had the same effect as other great stories have had on me.

I believe great stories are the face and voice of a culture. People living in the culture will write from the experiences. The effect of the times they live will make a story, but great stories are ones that live for centuries. The classics are a good showing of what great stories are to this day.

I was changed by the stories that I read as a child. Some of the earliest books I read were written by Beatrice Potter. When I got little older, I would glance over my mother’s paperback novels from the 1960’s. Most of the books were about girls and their adventures. I began to read more novels and their troubles become more central to my life. I was becoming more aware of what, I believed as an individual person.

When I read stories I live in the pages for a moment, and I think about who I agree with the most. I look for characters that who are the most in similar to me when I am reading. Great stories show me a world outside my own. As a child I wanted to be an author of a great story. I feel that many great stories have been told, but there are still more in someone’s mind. I believe great stories have the power of imagination and wonder.